Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Confession: I Love Being a Housewife

 I really do. I love everything about it. 

Most of the time, a post with a title such as this would be followed up by someone aggressively pointing out that because I love this, everyone should love this; because I find fulfillment in being this, everyone should. 

I'm not about to do that. I am never about to do anything of this nature, ever, under any circumstances.

Again: I advocate for everyone's individual free and responsible search for truth. My truth may not be yours, and that's perfectly fine. That is the manifestation of diversity. This world needs everyone of all kinds of perspectives to be the best it can be. 

I am only speaking for myself where this is concerned.

And I love being a housewife. I feel called to this particular occupation as someone might be called to the practice of medicine or counseling psychology. 

As I've said, my own particular conception of what my gender identity means to me is a state of being in which I am female, feminine, like something in Nature. I have the same strong, instinctive drive to nurture and care for those connected to me as my pregnant pet rabbit will have when her babies come in a few more weeks. When I am nurturing, I am thriving.

I don't relate to depictions of housewives in popular culture, particularly those in historical contexts, who are bored, miserable, and unfulfilled, prisoners in their homes. This doesn't fit me.  

The greatest joy I have in life right next to the joy of creating literature is investing my energy in making sure that my home is clean, bright, and cozy; I feel like I'm making a nest. I love seeing my husband and children relaxed and comfortable in this environment. I feel like I've won. I love researching and preparing meals for them and knowing they are nourished. 

My husband and I are a partnership. We have separate but equal roles in our marriage. Although I do some virtual work from home, he is the primary breadwinner. I respect the fact that he gets up before the sun and goes out to work hard for us all day. I show that respect by getting up early myself, and attending to the needs of our home, and the raising of our children.

 I look forward to when he arrives home. I strive to have a warm meal waiting, a clean, comfortable environment prepared for him. I always try to make sure he knows how happy I am that he is home. Whenever possible, I enlist the help of the girls to make a dessert for him to enjoy with coffee when he gets home. I love asking about his day and listening to everything he has to share. 

I love that our girls are doing virtual education and learning from home. I love helping them cultivate academic, time management, and domestic skills throughout our day. I love being the primary entity in charge of making sure they learn what they need in school as well as in life. 

My path isn't for everyone. But ultimately, I'm glad I have found the path that gives me fulfillment. I don't need validation from a career to feel like I'm living a life that matters. For me, making this book happen is something that serves as my way of passing on wisdom, something that I can do that I am certainly good at doing...but it isn't what defines me. 

My worth is in God, my value is in my service to my family. I'm good with this. I'm also good with the fact that the majority of people couldn't imagine this being their life. And that's okay! We all must find and pursue that which gives us peace, joy, and contentment.

And for me, that's being old school af :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

On Finding Peace (In the Most Warlike of Times)

 This is not a peaceful time, by any means. The bring-down of Roe is... beyond description. Something that I can't believe is actually h...